It’s common knowledge that sugar isn’t good for your teeth and can lead to cavities and tooth loss, but there’s many more reasons to overcome a sugar craving. 76 reasons, to be exact, are found in the book Lick the Sugar Habit, by Nancy Appleton, PhD. If you’d like to end your relationship with sugar but need a little more incentive than knowing it’s not good for you, here’s 5 Dangers of Sugar from the list of 76:
5 Dangers of Sugar
1. Sugar can cause acidic saliva, tooth decay, and periodontal disease (which often leads to tooth loss).
2. Sugar causes food allergies (food allergies cause everything from skin rashes to indigestion to asthma).
3. Sugar can make your skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
4. Sugar can increase your body’s fluid retention (Hello?? Water weight anyone?).
5. Sugar is enemy #1 of your bowel movement.