Fixed Dental Bridge
Have you lost teeth due to accident, injury, or gum disease? We offer trusted, quality, and experienced St. Louis dental bridges to help restore your smile. It fills the gap caused by missing teeth, preventing your remaining teeth from shifting. A fixed bridge can also correct a misaligned bite, improve chewing function and speech articulation, and give you a more youthful appearance by providing structure to your face (compare a dental bridge with a dental implant).
What is a Fixed Dental Bridge?
A bridge is a prosthetic tooth (or teeth) that attaches on one or both sides to teeth prepared with dental crowns. The fixed bridge is permanently joined onto the neighboring teeth and consists of three basic units: the false tooth or teeth, and two abutment crowns. The style of bridge will depend on the strength and health of the neighboring teeth, as well as the location of the gap in relation to the rest of your dentition.
The advantages of a fixed dental bridge are:
- It’s fixed, stable, and feels like your own teeth, although the more inexpensive they are, the less this is the case.
- In most cases it can be made to look just like you never had a tooth missing.
The disadvantages are:
- You have to treat the two teeth on either side of the missing teeth in order to anchor the bridge in place. These teeth may be in good shape with nothing wrong.
- There will now be extra pressure on these adjoining teeth to make up for the missing tooth or teeth.
- They can be hard to floss.
With proper care, a fixed dental bridge may last 8 to 10 years.
I am (was) missing several teeth (lower right side) and had tried partials designed by two different dentists. I came to Dr Pete on recommendation and he fitted me with a unique cantilever bridge. The prosthesis is absolutely marvelous! The new teeth are fitted perfectly and feel like my own natural teeth. Dr. Pagano did an expert job!
— Samuel J. Alioto